Friday, 6 November 2009

Year of Rat: Phra That Si Chom Thong Stupa, Chiang Mai

This stupa is located on top of the Chom Thong hill. It houses part of the Buddha’s relics. The relics are not buried, but instead kept in a small pagoda inside the temple hall, so people can bathe them.

Legend has it that the Buddha once visited this hill and stated that this place would later house part of his relics. In 1452, Two people, Meng and Soi, found the Buddha’s relics, so they built a pagoda to house them at the Ton Thong hill. This temple was later known as the Chom Thong temple. Phra Mueng Keo, the 14th King of the Mang Rai dynasty (1495-1525) enlarged the temple, and many Kings of Chiang Mai arranged for processions of the relics to Chiang Mai to be worshipped. On the full moon nights of the third and seventh lunar months of every year, the relics are brought to the temple hall where people can bathe them. Traditionally, the water used during the ceremony are to be taken from a river and scented with sandalwood.
Location 157 Ban Luang, Tambon Ban Laung, Chom Thong district, Chiang Mai
Getting there
By Car From Bangkok, drive along highway no.32 to Nakhon Sawan. Then, take highway no.1 through Tak to Thoen district, Lampang. After that, use highway no. 106 heading to Lampoon. Before reaching Ban Hong district turn left to highway no. 1010 to Chom Thong district, this road will meet highway no. 108. Turn left and the temple is on your left.

No comments:

eckhart tolle